What Is Personal Information?
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect and maintain different types of personal information in respect of the individuals with whom we interact. This may include:
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number, date of birth, profile photo, and email address (depending on how you use the Portal);
- information related to your use of the Portal, including, pages or Content you review or create, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions;
- identity verification documents, such as images of your government issued ID, your ID number or other verification information;
- credit and financial information, such as your credit card and banking information; and
- business relationship information, including information related to your agreements and preferences, as well as any feedback and information requested by or provided to you.
We may also collect market-related information, which may include personal information concerning market trends and activities impacting our business. This information may include contract terms, financial information and other information for the purpose of market analysis and strategic planning. We may also collect information related to our media, investor and public relations activities and information related to our interactions with financial and other analysts and advisors. As a general rule, we collect personal information directly from you. In most circumstances where the personal information that we collect about you is held by a third party, we will obtain your permission before we seek out this information from such source (such permission may be given directly by you, or implied from your actions). From time to time, we may utilize the services of third parties in our business and may also receive personal information collected by those third parties in the course of the performance of their services for us or otherwise. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such third parties have represented to us that they have the right to disclose your personal information to us. Where permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements, we may collect information about you without your knowledge or consent. We collect personal information directly and automatically from you.
- Some of the ways we collect personal information from you directly are as follows: when you create an account with us; and
- when you post a Listing or book a Property through the Portal.
The information collected may include your name and age, email address, postal address, telephone number, and credit card information. We also collect personal information through your use of the Portal. When you use the Portal, we use your personal information and your browsing history to provide you with suggested Listings based upon this information. The browsing history is collected by us and by third parties from our site.
There are some pages on this site that use a technology called “cookies”. Cookies are strings of text written by programs on this site to a disk file on your computer. They contain information to help us better serve you next time you return to the site. Most browsers can be configured to either notify you when sites create cookies or to disallow the creation of cookies. Refer to the documentation for your browser or the online help files supplied with your browser for instructions that will allow you to better control how cookies are written to your hard disk. When using our site, we may collect some or all of the following information: the time and date of your visit, your computer’s operating system, the Internet Protocol (“IP”) address of your Internet Service Provider, the IP address of your computer, address of the web site from which you accessed our site, which sections of our site you viewed, and any content you accessed or downloaded from this site.
Why Do We Collect, Use and Disclose Personal Information?
We collect personal information to enable us to manage, maintain and develop our business and operations, including:
- to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you so that you can use the Portal to list, browse or book Properties (for example, by creating an account you can post a Listing);
- to provide technical support, debug, perform analytics and conduct research;
- to send you messages, emails, notifications and alerts;
- to comply with your requests (for example, if you prefer to be contacted by email or telephone number and advise us of your preference, we will use this information to contact you);
- to protect us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our property;
- to enable us to comply with applicable law or regulatory requirements; and
- any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
How Do We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information?
We may use or disclose your personal information:
- for any additional purposes for which we have obtained your consent to the use or disclosure of your personal information.
We may use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements to do so.
When Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
Further, your personal information may be disclosed:
- as permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- to comply with valid legal processes such as search warrants, subpoenas or court orders;
- during emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of a person or group of persons;
- where the personal information is publicly available;
- where required by law; or
- with your consent.
Certain information is shared between Users as a result of their use of the Portal, such as:
- When a Renter is browsing a Listing, certain publicly available information is shared with the Renter, such as Owner’s name and Property address. When booking request is made by a Renter, certain Renter’s information may be shared with the Owner, including Renter’s name and age, names and ages of any additional Renters or guests, if applicable, and other information a Renter may choose to share and submit.
- When an Owner invites a third party to manager a Listing or Property, an Owner authorizes that person to access and update Owner’s information, including but not limited to, name, calendar availability, Listing information, Property photos, and email address.
Certain information posted on the Portal that is understood to be publicly visible to others is shared to the public (for example, a Listing which includes Owner’s name, Property’s address and photos, reviews and ratings). Anyone may display parts of any Content that is publicly-available on the Portal on third-party sites and apps by sharing a link or by other means. Information you share publicly through the Portal may be indexed through third-party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your account settings.
Your Consent Is Important to Us
Deemed Consent (Opt-Out)
How Is Your Personal Information Protected?
We endeavour to maintain physical, technical and procedural safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in question. These safeguards are designed to prevent your personal information from loss and unauthorized access, copying, use, modification or disclosure.
Updating Your Personal Information
Access to Your Personal Information
You can ask to see your personal information. Please note that any such communication must be in writing. If you want to review, verify or correct your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer at: email@example.com. Your information is kept at or is accessible through our corporate offices in Ontario, Canada. When requesting access to your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information; however, we will advise you of any fee in advance. If you require assistance in preparing your request, please contact our Privacy Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your right to access the personal information that we hold about you is not absolute. There are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavour to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Last updated: January 15th, 2021